|Stonewall Jackson High School
See larger image HERE
In the late 1930s, Charleston High School became over-crowded so
Stonewall Jackson High School was built in 1940 to accommodate the
students on the West Side of Charleston. During the 1980s, the student
populations at CHS and SJHS dropped. In 1989, Capital High School
opened, combining the students of these two former rival schools. This
ended a 49 year rivalry.
Charleston High School was torn down in mid 1989. Stonewall Jackson
High School became Stonewall Jackson Junior High School that same year. A
decade later, in 1999, Stonewall Jackson Junior High School became
Stonewall Jackson Middle School, which it remains today.
Class of 1944. 285 graduates. See larger image HERE
old pillars were on the corner of Washington Street West and Park Ave.
They were installed by the owners of the Glenwood Mansion.
They were later moved back when the corner was widened.
There is another page on the website with more info. |
Stonewall Majorettes in 1963 at Bob Phillips Drive In at MacCorkle and 39th Street
the above photo: Judy Thaxton, Barbara Cummings Rider, Kay
Coffman Brown, Sherry Christie, Thelma Thompson, Joy Jarrell, Sue Holt
Gregg (shotgun), Judy Greybill Pritchett, & Janice Carpenter
Moore. Corps members not pictured: Betty Arthur and Martha Bostic
Yearbook photos and Park Ave photo courtesy of Nancy Williams
Top photo of Stonewall Jackson High School copywrite J. Waters
Back to index