above photo was taken in 1948 just after this magnificent home was
purchased by George Martin and Frank Blair and turned into a
restaurant. This was a massive, perfectly symmetrical stone house
that sat at the end of Kanawha Blvd E. As Rt 60 was the main
entrance into town from the East, the Greystone was in a very
Salmon Steak $1.75 .... Cant buy a Coke for that today.
location was so good in fact, that it was decided to add a motel
to the facility. At first, 5 cottages were to be
built, but then it was decided to simply add the motel onto the
end of the house. This was completed by 1951. |
Greystone survived until the early 70s. When the Interstate came
through, most traffic bypassed the Greystone. As there was
no simple way to get to the motel, the decision was made to close
the facility and sell.|
of the uses of the motel in it's transition phase was to lease it out
to Morris Harvey College (now University of Charleston) as a womens
the old Home-Motel was sold to the Open Door Apostolic Church, which
has done extensive remodeling to the interior over the years. Black & White photos courtesy of Rev. Chris Sowards|
fairly certain that "Greystone" was built by Dr John Cannady Sr. (also
spelled Cannaday) It was built around 1930, and many articles appear at that time announcing parties and functions.
Dr Cannady was the founder of Charleston General
Hospital on Elmwood Ave. He had a son with the same name that was also a doctor
and was believed to have lived there.
The house wasnt called
Greystone back then. It was called "Journey's End" because
it sat at the end of Kanawha Street, later Kanawha Blvd.
Both Dr Cannady's (also spelled Cannaday) lived in the Greystone.
By 1948, it was sold to George Martin and partner to become "The
Dr Cannady died the same tear that the Charleston General Hospital School of Nursing building opened
Back to Index